Thursday, August 2, 2012

Oregon Trail: The Move West!

Well, as many of you know by now, Will and I have decided to move west!  Last year when we drove cross country on our vacation, we knew that one day we would move to the west...we just did not know it was going to happen so quickly.

Journey to this decision.....as many of you know Will is almost finished with his dissertation for his Ph.D, so we knew that he had to start looking for a job.  So about a year ago he began looking, and the obvious first choice was to find something here at Auburn, where he could get some experience for a year or two then we would start the search out west. Well, after SEVERAL disappointments with positions here at AU, we realized that AU was not going to be the place that he was going to be able to find a position ( he was straight up told by the new VP that she didnt want to hire anymore AU grads). SO, at that point we realized that perhaps the Lord was closing this door to open another one, and HE did in a BIG way!

Will began applying to any and every job he could, we didnt really care where the jobs were, but rather that he could just find one that he was interested in!  Well, he applied for a position at University of Oregon, in which they were impressed with his phone interview and flew him out there (this was early June).  He ended up NOT getting this first position, he was crushed, BUT about a week later he received an email from someone he met while out there, and this person encouraged him to apply for another position (the one he has now!).  He was apprehensive at first, but I told him why not! So he did, and was given another interview at University of Oregon.  He received the phone call that he had gotten the position on Monday July 9th!  And on July 10th, he officially accepted his new position, Associate Director of Development for the School of Journalism and Communications at the University of Oregon!  He is SO excited!

In the mean time, when we found out he was a finalists for the position I began applying to jobs as well, and I was contacted on Friday July 6th for a phone interview for a position of Academic and Career Advisor in the School of Journalism and Communication at the UO.  It was SO WEIRD, that I had gotten an interview too!  After my phone interview, I was contacted to for an on campus interview. By this time, we knew Will had gotten the job, so we saw this as a great opportunity to go to Eugene and find us a place to live!  You can really see the Lord's hand in everything that has happened in this move to Oregon. EVERYTHING has fallen into place. And although I am BEYOND stressed trying to coordinate a move 2600 miles away (Type A personality!).  We both know this is what we are supposed to do, this is our plan!

I will find out tomorrow or next week if I have gotten the position, at this point I am happy to have the position, but if it doesnt work out its ok!  That just means that there is something BIGGER and BETTER that is planned for me! Regardless of the decision...we are moving to Oregon!

here is a pic of Will that I took on our LONG journey to Eugene last week! We cant wait to be Oregon Ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment