The holiday season this year was a little bit difficult for Will and I since we could not go home for Christmas. Will has to be employed at U of O for 6 months before he can take any vacation days, SO, we tried to think of something fun that the two of us could do as a little getaway...and BOY did we hit a homerun! After talking to some local Oregonians, they suggested that we look at Sunriver Resort in the Cascade Mountains. So we booked a room for two nights and set up to go on an excursion snowshoeing at Mt. Bachelor.
So we set out on Dec. 23 for our quick getaway to Sunriver! Before we left I checked the weather forecast and it indicated that our drive over the pass to Sunriver was going to be slightly treacherous for us Southerns. So after talking to work friends, we decided we probably needed to get snow chains...and OH BOY am I glad we did. As we headed up through the Willamette Pass the rain turned to snow almost instantly at 2,000 feet.....and it only got worse from there! It was the MOST snow I have ever seen in my lifetime. It was beautiful.
We arrived at the resort all in one piece. I took us quite a while to get there since we had to drive so slow with the chains on our tires (20-30 mph!). We checked in and got settled into our room, much to our surprise my parents had gotten us a little surprised delivered to our room a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries! It was such a cool surprise!
We decided to head to the Lodge for a drink and a snack after we arrived.......that turned into us sitting there for nearly 4 hours, watching Sunday football and ended up by the gigantic fireplace drinking a glass of wine. We finished off the night playing in the 2 feet of snow on our back porch and drinking champagne in our snowboots!
The next day was snowshoeing....we took a guided tour to Mt. Bachelor, were we were taught how to snowshoe through the forest. I am NOT kidding when I say that the snow in the forest that we went snowshoeing in was up to my knees with my snowshoes on...AND according to the guide was probably a total of up to 12-15 FEET deep. LIKE HOLY COW! Are you kidding me. I was in complete awe at how much snow was on the ground. It was beautiful and exhausting.
We ended our Christmas eve with a beautiful dinner and then coming back to our little room cranking up the fireplace and drinking champagne...it was a perfect way to end a magnificent day!
We headed home on Christmas Day (Will only got the 24th and 25th off), and spent the rest of our afternoon eating Chinese food and watching Elf (my favorite!) It really was a perfect Christmas, minus not getting to see any of our family!
Here are some pics!
Enjoy!
13 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment